Asian Speech For Cochlear Implants In Ahmedabad, Cochlear Implants In Gujarat.cochlear implant is a medical option for individuals with severe to Profound sensorineural�hearing loss.
In this type of hearing loss hearing aids provide limited benefit because they are designed to amplify sound, but the cochlea is not able to process this sound.
A cochlear implant bypasses the non-functioning part of the cochlea and delivers sound signals directly to the hearing nerve.
Cochlear implants function by electrically stimulating the sensory cells in the cochlea. They can be used effectively by both Prelingually �and� Postlingually deafened children and adults.
Implant (surgically placed under the skin)
The implant consists of a housing (containing the electronics), an electrode array, and a reference electrode
Speech processor (worn behind the ear)
The speech processor consists of a Control unit, a battery pack, and a coil with cable.
1. Sounds are picked up by the microphone of the speech processor.
2. The speech processor analyses and codes sounds into a special pattern of electric pulses.
3. The pulses are sent to coil and transmitted across the skin to the implant.
4. The pluses are sends the pulses to the electrodes in the cochlea.
5. The auditory nerve picks up the signal and sends it to the auditory Centre in the brain. The brain recognizes these signals as sound.
Implantation at a young age is preferred, because hearing is important for For language development and because research has shown better outcomes in early implanted children.
Older children and adults with previous speech and language development generally perform better with a cochlear implant.
A long period of profound hearing loss may limit the benefits of a cochlear implant.